A Province-wide WiFi is being cooked as I’m writing this and I am in need of a vendor-independent controller for all the access points we are going to install. There will be a mix of vendors such as UBNT and OpenMesh for this project, and while each of them offers a “free” controller, I still need to have a single interface for all of them. Because PfSense will be our main Firewall/Router, I have decided to look into it and see if it can do what I want.
I will be posting my progress here, also to serve as a documentation of what I have done so far.
- Utilize PfSense Captive portal(CP) feature – using vouchers. Done!
- DHCP range
- All backhaul devices have static mappings, including WiFi APs. Done!
- WiFi clients different dhcp pool. Done!
- Function to see all connected clients. Done! See Image 1.
- See who and how many viewed the CP page.
- See who among who viewed the CP have actually bought voucher and are authorized.
- See page hits of the CP page.
- Summary of the above.
- Function to see all Access Points. Done! See Image 2.
- Add an access point function.
- View Device name.
- View SSID.
- View Status.
- View number of clients connected.
- View Uptime.
Access Points requirement is SSH access. Using PHP ssh functions, I can issue CLI commands to get necessary info about the APs.
- Ability to issue more commands for controlling each AP.
- Group WiFi clients based on which AP they are connected and display localized portal page.